Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Terminal Desires: Devblog - 02

Hey everyone, before I get started, I'd just like to say a big thanks to those who have picked up the first chapter of OIL. If you didn't already know, you can get it for yourself at the Affect3D store at the link below:



Anyway, I've had a bit of a busy week but I wanted to provide an update and reassure people that the first public demo will still be coming out by the end of the week. Though there's still a lot to do before then! So I'll be keeping this one short (probably...).

I figured I'd talk a bit about the game dev schedule and how I'm handling things with this project. And sprinkle in some renders for good measure.

 
There are three main phases I am cycling through right now:
  1. Writing/Planning.
  2. Rendering.
  3. Implementing.
Now that probably sounds super straight forward, but its a big step up from just rendering images or making comics. Especially when you take into account that for pretty much the first time ever I'm holding myself to strict deadlines. I want to release a new build every month. Sure I could delay it another month or so and make it super awesome for the first release... but then I'd fall back into a comfortable schedule of taking my own sweet time and never releasing anything until it was perfect. I can guarantee that holding myself to this kind of monthly development cycle is the best thing for the game as a whole. Plus it means you guys won't have to wait years for it to be done.

I hope what I'm saying is making sense! Basically by having monthly deadlines you guys will actually get content and it will force me to work smarter. Where as taking all the time I'd like means I'd never release it and develop it for months before getting something out there. Which is also a silly thing to do since I can't be entirely sure how much support the game will get at this stage.


Release Schedule (Planned):
So let's talk about my Patreon/release plans real quick. I'm still working on the page and tiers etc so I'll let you know when it's live. There will probably be a link embedded in the game's menu so you shouldn't miss it. My current plans are to release monthly builds or 'versions'.  Here's how it will most likley work:

September:
  • v0.01 will come out by the end of the week and will be available publicly for everyone.
  • The Patreon page will go live and will have $1, $5 and $10 tiers to start with.

October:
  • v0.02 will come out by the end of October and be available for $5+ patrons.
    • It will continue the story and contain at least 2 new sex scenes and other improvements/features.
  • During the month, patron's will discuss and vote on what they would like to see in v0.03.

November:
  • v0.03 will come out by the end of November and be available for $5+ patrons.
    • It will contain scenes or features as decided by patrons during October.
  • v0.02 will be released for $1 patrons.
  •  During the month, patron's will discuss and vote on what they would like to see in v0.04.

December:
  • v0.04 will come out by the end of December and be available for $5+ patrons.
    • It will contain scenes or features as decided by patrons during the month of November.
  • v0.03 will be released for $1 patrons.
  •  v0.02 will be released publicly for everyone.
  •  During the month, patron's will discuss and vote on what they would like to see in v0.05.

Well, that's the plan at least! :)





So what other rewards will there be for patrons? Well it might change at some time in the future, but as of now it's looking like the tiers will be

$1 Patrons:

  • Access to last month's Patreon build.
  • Access to the weekly previews/progress updates.
  • Name in the credits (optional).

$5 Patrons:
  • All previous rewards
  • Access to this month's current Patreon build.
  • Access to general discussions and polls

$10 Patrons:
  • All previous rewards
  • Access to important deciding polls about game content.
  • More previews of upcoming scenes.
  • The option to help playtest the new Patreon build a few days early.

Of-course this may change in the future. I may add some different tiers or change the rewards. The main difference between $5 polls and $10 polls will be that the $5 polls will mostly be for gathering feedback and deciding what direction to take the game in. Where as $10 polls will be used to decide on specific features, character designs, scenes, quests, events, enemies, etc. Hopefully it will become more clear when you see it in action. :)





1. Writing/Planning:
Alright, back to the original topic at hand. When dealing with image sets, the writing and planning stage is a lot simple. You brainstorm what's going to happen, then you decide what the action in each image is going to be, and finally you write the dialogue for the characters if there's any.

In a branching RPG like 'Terminal Desires' though, it gets a lot more involved. Not only because, depending on player choice, Tiffany can react in different ways or scenes can be bypassed entirely, but also due to the fact that there are gameplay segments that fit between the story & sex scenes. If you've never played one of these hentai RPGs before, the best way to describe it is basically a series of 'choose-your-own-adventure' image sets with gameplay segments in between. There's combat, exploration and other quests that will be added in the future to make things interesting as you progress through the game's story with Tiffany.

If you've honestly never played one of these types of games before, I'd highly recommend checking out the following two games, since they're great examples of RPG's that inspired me to make my own:



Anyway, this stage also involves planning all the various gameplay features, like the 'armor pieces' mechanic I mentioned in the first Devblog. But also the combat progression, loot, character stats and needs. And other more complicated things such as how the pregnancy system will operate, but more on that in another Devblog. Just know that for now, it will be possible to get Tiffany impregnated in this game, as early as the second sex scene as well! But it will also be possible to avoid it by either player choice or using birth control pills, etc. Only human characters for now (since the infected's sperm are 'dead') but who knows what developments are not-so-secretly planned for the story's future. ;)



2. Rendering:
This one is mostly the same, except now I need to render character dialogue shots, with different expressions & states of undress depending on the player choice. Making multiple variations of an image can be time consuming. But I can also cut down on renders with the gameplay segments, so it all evens out in the end I think.




3. Implementing:
This is the phase where I stick everything together, actually add in all the game systems, set up the scenes add sound and effects to make the sex scenes more interesting. And also adding the combat segments and designing maps. RPG Maker MV is incredibly simple to use, in some ways it's a little too simple, but it's fine for my current needs. After doing nothing but renders for around 7-8 years now, this is the part I find most refreshing and enjoyable. Hopefully people will also appreciate this fresh way to experience these little stories of mine. :)


Well what do you know, I ended up writing a bit of a short novel here! I had to cut things a little short here since I really need to get back to it! Thanks for your support. Leave your questions & comments below as always. I hope you're as excited about this as I am!

~ Jim

27 comments:

  1. Cant wait for your patreon to launch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hopefully everything goes smoothly.

      Delete
    2. I got a follow up question, as well. Are you going to render the game in 1080p or 720p only?

      Delete
    3. The renders will be 720p for this game. 1080p would simply take too long to render. In want to be able to make content fast here and not spend months rendering. If there's enough support, then I will upgrade my system and any potential sequels or future games will be in 1080p. But Terminal Desires will be 720p. Which I think doesn't matter too much, especially since the rest of the game has pixel graphics.

      Delete
    4. Alright, I understand. How much longer does rendering 1080p take compared to 720p? It doesnt sound like much of a difference to a tech-noob tbh :D

      Delete
    5. Honestly it's got more to do with the background and lighting and a lot of other factors such as amount of characters, textures, material settings. With my current setup I can usually render a 1080p image against a static black background in less than an hour. The 720p ones here with these simple backgrounds are taking me on average about 2-3 hours. The renders for 'Night of the Warlock' took about 6-10 hours and were at 1080p, but they were in a big open outdoor environment with moonlight so it's not really a fair comparison. Gremlins Part 2 was about 4-8 hours per image if memory serves, but that had a lot of characters.

      The biggest thing to keep in mind is that while my PC is rendering, every other function slows down drastically. So basically using my pc because almost impossible while rendering. There's lots of solutions to this, but they cost money or time. The key thing here is that I'd much rather be spending my free time making as many images as I can and working on game dev, rather than sitting around waiting for renders.

      Ideally I would like to get a second PC, exclusively for rendering, that way I can efficiently do more work on the other one, in the meantime. Or just render 2 things at once!

      There are more efficient render engines as well, such as Daz Studios's IRAY. But to me, all renders made with IRAY look the same. I prefer the results achieved in Lux render, which is what I use. But I'm still using cpu rendering which is much slower than GPU rendering. Only because I haven't been able to get good enough results with it. When I get a break I really need to investigate more alternative options haha. I just like to make things and not waste too much time altering my process since I'm satisfied with the results.

      Delete
    6. Thanks for actually going a little in to detail to explain! :) Can´t wait to support on Patreon!

      Delete
    7. Thanks, I hope you'll enjoy what content the game has so far.

      Delete
  2. Please make a update for when the patreon page goes up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry. I'll definitely be promoting it and updating the blog. I'll be posting the link to v0.01 here after all.

      Delete
  3. I just saw you updated the progress bar. Are we getting a new devblog today, as well? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, since v0.01 will be coming out sometime in the next 2 days, I’ll be putting all my free time into finishing as much as can. You can expect the percentages to move more quickly since rendering takes the longest.

      As for a quick general update, renders are done for now (I could always do more but that”d mean delaying the release.) And the patreon Page is ready, so I just need to spend the next 2 days finishing this first version.

      Delete
    2. Sounds amazing! Are we able to pledge already, or are you making it public with the release of v.01?

      Delete
    3. The page is live now. But there's no need to pledge right away since there's nothing exclusive there yet and everybody will get access to v0.01 for free. Plus pledges are payed at the start of every month so I'd feel bad for accepting peoples support now. I'd personally wait until the update is out.

      But if you really want to support me I won't stop you, haha. Though again, there's no real benefit to doing so until v0.01 launches.

      The page is here: https://www.patreon.com/Jimjim3dx

      Delete
  4. End of the month and no update. You lied to us Jim! Un-patreonized! Lol hopenfor the update soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working on it right now. Check back in a few more hours ;)

      Delete
  5. Current ETA is about 2 Hours. Working on implementing the optional impregnation scene.
    Still one of two bugs to squash but I will be releasing v0.01 today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot wait for it to come out. Hope you enjoy it. I hope this is only the beginning. ^////^

    ReplyDelete
  7. About 1-2 more hours. I've had maybe too much fun designing a cinematic epilogue to this first version. I hope people won't mind too much, haha. I also fixed all the bugs I was having so that's good too. Though I'm sure there will be more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alright. One more update. It's taken me longer than I thought. I'm testing some things then implementing as much as I can before I need to sleep. I'll post a beta version for people to test. Then bug fix and patch things up when I'm awake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, an amazing Information dude. Thanks for sharing this nice information with us.

    Raat ki Baat

    ReplyDelete
  10. How to eclxtract beast file i can't find game files??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. What exactly are you having problems with? Is this for v0.03?
      *Go here: https://jimjim-renders.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_20.html
      *Download v0.03
      *Download the Beast Patch
      *Extract v0.03 (you should have a "terminal" folder)
      *Extract the Beast Patch(you should have a "terminal" folder inside that one)
      *Cut or Copy the "terminal" folder from the Beast Patch and paste/merge it with the v0.03's "terminal" folder.
      *Say yes to Overwrite all files
      *Play the game, and enable beast content using the key item in your menu.
      *If you're using an old save, you'll need to sleep before the item is added.

      Delete
  11. How can i play this game with the beast patch on a chromebook? please help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely no idea how to support a chromebook OS. Maybe I can try to host a web-version in the future. But it'd be online only. Will have to look into it later. As for right now, you should be able to do it if you can find a way to run a windows .exe file. Using a virtual machine like ubuntu or something like that. Sorry man, chromebook support is pretty low on my list of things to do tbh. I still gotta get Mac, android and other versions working first. But before all that, I just want to focus on the game a bit more.

      Delete